Celebrating our Student Heroes
YESS Institute seeks to develop the next generation of caring and productive community members. To celebrate our 20th Anniversary, we’re looking to recognize the students who have served as heroes in their community over the past year. Whether that meant assisting other students with academics as schools were shuttered or helping an elderly or immunocompromised neighbor with groceries, we want to hear about the incredible students in your community who have gone above and beyond during the pandemic.
What we’re looking for:
The contest is open to high school students in 9th-12th grades throughout the greater Denver area, the 2021 #YESSHero will win a $5,000 scholarship to go toward their post-secondary education.
- Heroes who have gone above and beyond to help others in 2021
- This could include something like providing care for a family member or providing assistance to others in the community by means of tutoring, picking up groceries, transportation to doctor’s appointments, etc.
Nominating a student is easy:
- Submit a short (60 second) video on Facebook or Instagram that identifies the student and what he/she/they did to support individuals in the community during the pandemic.
- Identify their name and high school.
- Include the hashtag #YESSHero
- Check the YESS Institute website on June 1, 2021, to see if your #YESSHero won the $5,000 scholarship!
To be considered, the #YESSHero must:
- Attend high school and be in the 9-12 grades
- Live within the greater Denver area
- Taken initiative to go above and beyond to help others in 2020-21
- Have demonstrated strong social-emotional skills (e.g. social awareness, empathy, caring for others, community service)
- Be willing to have their name and image used in YESS Institute communications
Timing & Key Dates
- Contest Open: May 10-24, 2021
- Deadline for Nominations: May 24 at 11:59 p.m.
- Winner Announced: June 1, 2021
The YESS Hero Contest is made possible through the generosity of the Lori Rickert Insurance Agency, State Farm.