We engage at-risk mentees by providing them with trained peer mentors who come from similar backgrounds and who share the same “cultural zip code.”
Our model includes:
- Recruiting/matching mentors and mentees: Mentors match similar “cultural zip code” of 9th-grade mentees provides a more inclusive approach of “empowering from within.”
- Mentor training and supervision: Peer mentors receive extensive pre-match training in YESS’ EmoSmart Leadership; weekly training during program and individual coaching when needed by YESS staff.
- Afterschool academic tutoring/homework help sessions: Peer mentors work once a week 1-1 with freshman on academics
- Afterschool mentoring sessions: Peer mentors work a second day a week 1-1 with freshmen on social-emotional skill building following the YESS Road to Success curriculum.
- Ongoing contact with mentees’ family: YESS Mentoring is an essential part of the attendance contract with parents and student. YESS staff and school attendance liaison provide weekly progress to parents.